San Marino is located exactly in the center, it is the fulcrum, the point of perfect balance between two vectors, two arrows, seemingly opposed: one that extends into tradition’s past, which for a violinist, for a musician, and therefore for a student, represents a wealth of essential values; and a second arrow launched towards the future, towards the change and evolution that serve as the compass, the guiding star of any artistic or musical project. Our Academy therefore wishes to gather these two leading ideas: the value of musical tradition, technical expertise and artistic consolidation (musicians of the highest level will be attending the Academy) and the value of innovation that drives us to look into the future of teaching in an absolutely unique and original way in order to develop methods, style, and interaction (between students and teachers, and students and artists).
That said, the idea of the “Strings Concert Academy” is to provide you with all the opportunities that one could wish for:
- Lessons with The Greatest Titans of music;
- 10 days of full immersion into fantastic music played by the Great Masters;
- The most brilliant young musicians from all around the world, all together at the same time and in the same place;
- 10 days of incredible concerts played by musical prodigies with a growing career;
- A new way of teaching. I feel that it is very motivating that one can perform together with the most famous musicians, transforming the boring classical learning process into an interactive cultural exchange, with no need for a single word to be pronounced…
- Sharing and learning. It is also amazing to share and discuss your musical, interpretative or technical ideas with talented friends and colleagues outside of class, enjoying the delicious cuisine of the local restaurants and transforming the ancient field of bloody battles for freedom into a place of free and elegant discussion of different points of view.
- Practice. Thanks to our collaboration with the University of San Marino, we can offer our young perfectionists comfortable classes where they can stay all day long in order to create their individual sound, unique phrasing and perfect intonation.
- Life-long friendships. The warm-hearted atmosphere of these 10 days will create opportunities to find new dear friends or interesting opponents. I know from my personal experience, that contacts based on a shared passion for art last for years! Share these contacts that will be useful for your work in the future.
- Variety and freedom in choice. If one is tired after hours of intensive practice, and in need of relaxation or regenerating, one can easily find everything, from terraces with breathtaking views for meditation, to the steep up-and-down paths between the old palaces, each of which is waiting to tell you its’ story, full of emotion; from markets to great exhibitions, from cool and distant stars to the close sandy beach. In short, there is a variety and freedom of choice for everybody with regards to everything, except the quality, which will always be at the maximum.
- Last but not least. Besides the truly unique and invaluable experience of cooperating with world renowned masters and the most talented young musicians, every participant together with a diploma will get a very few but very important lines in his artistic CV.
My dream is for the Academy to become some kind of Music Lab, a place in which the best musicians of different ages and experience can encounter one another; I wish for this antique mountain to have the modern peak of cultural creativity. Welcome to San Marino Strings Concert Academy!
M° Oleksandr Semchuk